Abortion Information Prattville, Alabama
# 1 Source for Abortion Information in Prattville, Alabama
River Region Pregnancy Center offers free pregnancy services and abortion information in Prattville, Alabama. If you’re considering taking abortion pills, at-home methods or getting an in-clinic abortion, we provide information on what to do before an abortion in Alabama. Because abortion is restricted in our state, we recommend you KNOW BEFORE YOU GO. All services are free and confidential. We realize this is time sensitive. Call (334) 365-8266 or request an appointment online today.
Medication abortion, also called the abortion pill, can be taken up to 70 days from the first day of the last menstrual period. The pill (two drugs, mifepristone and misoprostol) is taken in two doses.1
The FDA strongly cautions people against buying drugs from certain Internet pharmacies and specifically warns people not to buy Mifeprex, or the generic version (mifepristone) on the Internet because it bypasses safeguards.2,3
There are several types of surgical abortions. Suction aspiration, also called suction curettage, or vacuum aspiration abortion, is performed during the first 6 to 14 weeks gestational stage. Dilation and Evacuation (D&E) is another type of procedure typically done in later weeks. Both types have risks and side-effects and greatly vary depending on your gestation and health.4
WHAT TO DO BEFORE ABORTION IN PRATTVILLE, ALABAMA
1. LEARN MORE ABOUT ALABAMA ABORTION LAWS
If you live in Alabama, you probably have questions about the laws relating to abortion. Call (334) 365-8266 for more information.
2. GET A FREE ULTRASOUND IN PRATTVILLE, ALABAMA
If your pregnancy test is positive, our center provides limited obstetric ultrasounds free of charge and we never ask for your insurance. *restrictions may apply
An ultrasound will help you learn more about your pregnancy and your options.
An ultrasound is often recommended before an abortion for several reasons:
Do an ultrasound exam to date pregnancy
Knowing your menstrual cycle dates can help, but having an ultrasound is the most certain way to get exact dates for your pregnancy.5
Find out if your pregnancy is viable
Among pregnancies that are identified, about 15% end naturally in miscarriage.6 Natural miscarriages are frequently completed without the need for medical intervention. Find out for sure before going through a costly procedure. Get an ultrasound exam.
Can you take the Abortion Pill?
Before taking the abortion pill, you will need to know exactly how far along you are and a few other things as well. We can help you learn more about your pregnancy and your options.
Medical abortion isn’t an option if you:7
- Have an intrauterine device (IUD) currently in place.
- Have a concern that the pregnancy is outside of the uterus. This is called ectopic pregnancy and can be life-threatening. Learn about the risk factors and signs of an ectopic pregnancy.8
- Are further along in your pregnancy than ten weeks. The FDA has only approved the abortion pill for up to 10 weeks from the first day of your last menstrual period. Taking the abortion pill later in pregnancy is associated with increased risk of complications, such as an incomplete abortion or severe bleeding.9
- Have certain medical problems including: bleeding disorders, severe liver or kidney disease, known cardiac disease, or an uncontrolled seizure disorder.
- Take certain medications including blood thinners or steroids.
- Are allergic to the medicines used.
The gestational age of the pregnancy determines the types of abortion procedures typically used. Request an appointment to find out how far along in pregnancy you are through a free ultrasound to help determine your pregnancy options.
Save Yourself Money
Even non-profit abortion providers charge fees for all of their services. Non-profit abortion clinics may use a “sliding scale” payment schedule that is based on your income, but you will have fees you will have to either pay yourself or submit to insurance.
All of our services are 100% free and confidential. River Region Pregnancy Center is a non-profit organization that is free for everyone, regardless of financial circumstances. We exist to provide accurate medical information and support to women and men facing an unplanned pregnancy. Call (334) 365-8266 or request an appointment online today.
1. MEDICAL ABORTION
Information taken from U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2016). “Mifeprex Medication Guide.” U.S. Department of Health. Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/drugs/postmarket-drug-safety-information-patients-and-providers/mifeprex-mifepristone-information
4. SURGICAL ABORTIONS
- Paul, M., Lichtenberg, E. S., Borgatta, L., Grimes, D. A., Stubblefield, P. G., & Creinin, M. D. (2009). First Trimester Aspiration Abortion. In Management of unintended and abnormal pregnancy: Comprehensive abortion care (pp. 135-156).
- Chichester, UK: Wiley-Blackwell. Planned Parenthood Federation of America Inc. (2014). In-Clinic Abortion Procedures : Planned Parenthood. Retrieved July 19, 2014.
- American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. (2013). Practice Bulletin: Second-Trimester Abortion (135).
- Pasquini, L., et al. Intracardiac injection of potassium chloride as method for feticide: Experience from a single U.K. tertiary centre. Br J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008;115(4):528–31.
5. Mayo Clinic. (2020, November 6). Fetal ultrasound. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/pregnancy-week-by-week/multimedia/fetal-ultrasound/sls-20076294
6. Dugas C, Slane VH. Miscarriage. [Updated 2022 Jun 27]. In: StatPearls [Internet]. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; 2022 Jan-. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK532992/
7. Mayo Clinic. (2022, July 29). Medical abortion: Before Using. Mayo Clinic – Mayo Clinic. https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/medical-abortion/about/pac-20394687
- Physician’s Desk Reference. (2022). Korlym (mifepristone) Contraindications dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions… from PDR.net. https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Korlym-mifepristone-2928#11
- Physician’s Desk Reference Guide. (2022). Cytotec (misoprostol) dose, indications, adverse effects, interactions… from PDR.net. https://www.pdr.net/drug-summary/Cytotec-misoprostol-1044.430#11
8. Mayo Clinic. (2022, March 12). Ectopic pregnancy – Symptoms and causes. https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/ectopic-pregnancy/symptoms-causes/syc-20372088
9. Mentula MJ, Niinimäki M, Suhonen S, Hemminki E, Gissler M, Heikinheimo O. Immediate adverse events after second trimester medical termination of pregnancy: results of a nationwide registry study. Hum Reprod. 2011 Apr;26(4):927-32. doi: 10.1093/humrep/der016. Epub 2011 Feb 11. PMID: 21317416.